- People who can empathise with our callers and be caring and understanding of their situation.
- Our core values also include confidentiality and anonymity – if our callers feel safe, they are more likely to be open about their feelings.
- Fluent in English. CHS is an English-language Helpline and it is vital that you are comfortable speaking in English.
- You do not need formal qualifications or previous experience, but a natural ability to listen rwithout judgement and remain open-minded. Following the interview process, comprehensive training and regular professional supervision are provided.
Should you decide to apply to become a Helpline volunteer, please do not mention your application to anyone but those closest to you, as confidentiality and anonymity are essential. We will explain more when we meet you.
“It’s humbling and rewarding … you feel like you’re making a real difference, you also gain a range of new skills, have ongoing training, and you really feel part of a community.”
– Helpline listening volunteer